This gourmet linguini, with Brussels sprouts, bacon, walnuts, garlic and thyme, is delicious, surprisingly easy to prepare, and will serve five hungry family members.
500gm dried linguini
60ml olive oil (1/4 cup)
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
16 Brussels sprouts, sliced
5 rashes streaky bacon cut into strips
1/4 bunch fresh thyme
100gm walnuts, roughly chopped
- Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente (10-12 minutes). Drain (reserve about half a cup of pasta water), return pasta to pan, and set it aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat, add walnuts and toast lightly before turning them out into a separate bowl.
- Then, add more olive oil to the original pan, as well as some garlic, thyme and bacon and allow them to brown.
- Add the sliced Brussel sprouts and stir until golden (one to two minutes).
- Add the leftover pasta water to the pan, which will create an emulsion with the water, and cook until the sprouts have wilted (one to two minutes).
- Add the sauce to the pasta and toss to combine.
- Season the dish with black pepper, top with cheese, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, and it’s ready to serve.